Carrot, Cardamom, & Orange Soup
- 450g (1 lb) of carrots
- 25g (1 oz) unsalted butter
- 2 cardamom pods
- A good pinch of saffron strands
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- A good pinch of sugar
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled
- A piece of fresh ginger approximately 2 cm (3/4 in) square, peeled and finely chopped
- 6 dried apricots, ready soaked, roughly chopped
- The juice of 4 large oranges
Scrub the carrots well and chop roughly.
Put them in a large pot with the butter, cardamom, saffron, pepper, sugar, whole garlic cloves and ginger.
Cook over medium heat for 5 minutes, stirring regularly until the spices release their fragrance and the carrots are very lightly browned.
Add the apricots and orange juice, together with a generous shake of salt.
Keep heating and, as soon as the orange juice comes to a boil, add 1.25 liters (2 ¼ pints) of water.
Bring back to a boil, turn down to a simmer, cover and cook for 45 minutes.
Leave to cool for 10 minutes then liquidize thoroughly.
Check seasoning and reheat gently before serving.
Bron: of a customer from the shop